Comparing Yourselves to Other Writers



Writing is daunting, especially on such a public platform such as Wattpad. We all know this, but time and time again I've see people comparing authors to others. Fact is, you're not going to be your favorite author, and you will never be them.
It's not a bad thing! So if you're feeling discouraged right now, then stop!
Writing is one of those things that make us feel better about ourselves and if we're too busy worrying about being the next J
Writing is one of those things that make us feel better about ourselves and if we're too busy worrying about being the next J.K. Rowling, then it's not going to be a happy time. With years of practice, you will find your own voice. I'm someone who loves to write in first person and some of my favorite authors simply don't. I've been told I'm better at the third person voice by one of my creative writing teachers, but I didn't love writing in that voice.
As you practice your craft, you begin to find ways that you think are good. Everyone, of course, thinks something is good at one point in time and then not so good at another. You find the errors in your writing; like overusing the word just (yes, I did that... I think I've corrected myself now). 
When writing, you have to be yourself
When writing, you have to be yourself. It's like when we go to other people's houses; we have to be ourselves. Telling a story is very much the same. In order to tell the story you want to write, you have to find yourself. Writing on Wattpad helped me find my voice. Writing on the side on my book, Vigilant, also helped me find my voice. If you want to write a book like your favorite authors, then you will never find your happy place.
I loved the wizarding world J.K. Rowling created, but not enough to copy it. I loved the time travel story Diana Gabaldon created, but not enough for me to create my own. I'm one of those people who takes in everything around me and puts it to use in my book. The shows I watch, the music I listen to, and the images I see; it all influences my books. When you have a story idea you love, you'll know it when you find yourself thinking about it all the time.
If you stop to compare yourself to someone, you'll find it harder to find your own writing styles. You will be worried on sounding just like someone else and we simply can't do that. Everyone needs to learn to do that. Some people love to describe a world chalked full of literary metaphors and others describe the world as if we were them. You won't know your voice until you try.
I remember finding the story I wanted to tell
I remember finding the story I wanted to tell. After I finished the first draft, I immediately began thinking of things I wanted to change and that's when I knew. I knew that this was the story I would try to get published one day. I knew this was the story that I would label as my Harry Potter.
When you find that story and you don't try to mimic other writers, the words just flow out of you. They don't stop and it's the most incredible feeling in the whole world. Your thoughts become consumed by these characters and you think of ways to progress their stories and think of their back stories.
It's not easy to write and not be like someone else, but it can be done. Each writer is like a snowflake. No two writers are the same. We all have our own quirks and ways of writing. It is hard, even after finding your own voice. We all get those comments on our books saying that our story reminds them of something else by another author. Don't get discouraged by this, that's simply motivation to make your writing better and you may have a built in audience then. 
Here's some things to think about when trying to find your Harry Potter and your voice:
Here's some things to think about when trying to find your Harry Potter and your voice:
• Make a list of your favorite TV shows and books. Got them? This is how I got the initial idea for my book, Vigilant. You know the UK show, Big Brother? Yeah, my story started out as just that basic concept. Eventually, I began to expand my story into Big Brother meets The Hunger Games meets Divergent meets The 100. Yes, that is a big mash up of things, but you know what I think? I think my story is pretty freaking awesome, and you should think the same way about your story.
• Make a pinterest board and compile people you would want to write about. Type in the genre (IE dystopian) and pin pictures that are inspiring to you. I have this HUGE pinterest board for Vigilant's book series and I go through there when I am procrastinating on writing to compile ideas for books two and three. I have found so many images that I'm like, that is what I'm looking for. This will also help you find people who may represent your characters.
• Find writing prompts and write a one page scene and then analyze. What did you and didn't you like about your writing? This will help you find your voice and get into the flow of writing without worrying. I remember doing a free write every day when I was in my high school creative writing class. Write for fifteen to thirty minutes to let the words just flow. Don't worry about grammar or anything.
• Get a notebook (and your favorite pen) and keep it with you at all times. There is nothing like having a pen to paper feeling. I'm someone who has a whole box filled with pieces of paper and notebooks filled with my scribblings of Vigilant. I call this box my "J.K. Rowling box" because she had one similar to it for the Potter books. Every time you get the slightest hint of an idea, no matter where you are, you must write it down. You can write it down on your phone, but always transfer to a piece of paper.
• Write backstories. This is probably my favorite prompt because it helps you get to know your characters as well as help find a writing voice. I've done this two different ways now. The first way is to write everything you know about your characters (main and minor) and get a feel for their story. This will help intertwine their backstories subtly into your story. For one of my characters, I actually wrote their backstory for a creative writing class! Here's a little sneak preview at how I did the character backstories for my series binder:
 For one of my characters, I actually wrote their backstory for a creative writing class! Here's a little sneak preview at how I did the character backstories for my series binder:
But the main thing I hope you take away from this article is to be yourself. Don't let other writers influence you into thinking you're not as good as them. You're your own person and you need to be the writer you want to be. Don't aspire to be the next George R.R. Martin or J. R.R. Tolkien because no one will be them, and no one will be you. Write your own story the way you think it should be told. When all is said and done, you get to pat yourself on the back and say "I did this." And yes, you did.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.